Monday, February 11, 2013

Sister Stone

Dear Mom and Dad,                                                                                                 February 6, 2013
I know you just heard from me on Tuesday but I just had to tell you about my best day in the MTC so far! Oh my goodness, it was amazing! We have been doing a lot of role playing with our teacher’s but on Monday we started TRC’s with progressive (acting) investigators. Monday was kind of stressful because it was my first day with my new companion so our lesson didn’t turn out how we had planned! Big lesson learned. (And funny thing is that our leaders have been drilling it in our heads since we got here) is that you CAN NOT teach a lesson without the spirit!!! None of our zone has any luck Monday but today we went back. So we said a prayer before we knocked on our investigator Sara’s door. Sara opens up and says to come in. We asked her how her week had been and she tells us about her daughter who is 13 got in trouble for disobeying the rules. This ended up being HUGE for our lesson because we were able to relate that to the lesson. ANYWAY, so finally we ask if she followed thru on her commitment of reading the introduction of the Book of Mormon. SHE HAD! (Big sigh of Relief) And… She had read 8 chapters of 1Nephi as well! Double Bonus! We started teaching her about how our Heavenly Father loves us and just like she wants her daughter to talk to her about things, so does He. (Back track a little). Sarah doesn’t believe in God. Her religion is Yoga, Literally! So we knew that was our focus, helping her believe there is a God. As my companion started talking about how He loves us so much, I had the craziest thing happen, it was so amazing! The spirit whispered, “Tell her that she can talk to Heavenly Father”. (Now fast forward). So right as I heard this my comp stopped talking and I knew that this was my queue. I bore my testimony on prayer and asked if she knew how to pray. She, of course, said no, so I taught her and then said “Sara, our Heavenly Father wants to be able to talk to you but you have to be willing to ask to talk with Him too. It’s a two-way thing. Will you pray to know that God is real and that He loves you?” Then I paused and let the spirit talk to her. She slowly looked up and there were tears is her eyes when she said Yes! It was So amazing!! I have never felt the spirit so strong in any of our discussions this far and it was a huge learning experience for me!
Ok, sorry. I thought I would send this today, but it’s been crazy busy so I didn’t have time to finish this letter. So before I send this let me tell you how Thursday Feb. 7th changed my life as well! I have goose bumps just thinking about it and NOTHING can bring me off of this high! We had another TRC discussion tonight but this time our investigator was a volunteer. When it’s a volunteer they just say they are either inactive or not a member and that is all the information they give you. Sister Eldredge and I were kinda prepared for this because she has been a volunteer here before. Anyway, we prayed and started reading the first lesson. It didn’t really feel right, but we only had 5 minutes to prepare so we said a prayer and just asked that the spirit would be there to guide us and that our TRC’s heart would be open to whatever message we gave. We knocked on her door and this girl Brittany said she was 17 and hadn’t been to church since she was 10. Her parents divorced right around that time and didn’t feel the need to go back. Anyway, as she started to open up my comp and I both looked at eachother and knew this girl was struggling. She may have been an actress but what she told us next was real and maybe it’s been a while since it happened but even so, it was still an open wound and she needed comfort and reassurance. She started out telling us that she is a senior at a highschool here and that her friend has committed suicide that day. Anyway, the spirit hit us so strong! She said she was sorry and she didn’t know if that was too much for the first day. We were grateful we were there and had a message of comfort to say the least. We told her how our Heavenly Father loves her and her friend very much and reassured her that she would see her again. I then asked her if she knew how to pray and if she would pray with us, right in the middle of our lesson. The power of prayer is amazing! Brittany knelt down and started talking to Heavenly Father and prayed for comfort. There wasn’t a dry eye between the three of us! We then talked to her about the resurrection because both my companion and I knew that she needed to know that as well. My comp., Sister Eldredge bore such a strong testimony to her and there were more tears. The spirit was so strong! After I bore my testimony and we closed with prayer she thanked us over and over for the message and we were ecstatic! We couldn’t keep the smiles off our faces all night!
So that was the best two days in the MTC so far for me!!! How are things going at home? I was made the music director so I get to do the musical number for the next Sunday with my district before we leave on the 18th. I also pick the music for each meeting. Anyway, if you could send the music I asked for ASAP that would be great! Please send pictures and tell everyone to write Tyler and I on Dear Elder. I have seen Tyler several times now and have gotten to talk to him. I have also written to him. He finally gave me a hug after I had such an amazing experience with our investigators. I really needed a hug from someone I knew so I am glad he did!!!
It’s been such a great week and I am SO glad to be here! I love you guys so much!!! Thank you for the letters! Please tell everyone to write Tyler! He said he isn’t getting much mail, especially fro his friends. I felt bad for him!
Love, your favorite sister missionary,
Sister Mckenzi Stone

No comments:

Post a Comment